Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rumble in Da Jungle

3rd place... need I say more? OK, I need to say more. We headed up to West Millford, NJ at 7am so my son could race CAT3 15-19. His race started at 9am with a light mist coming down but not too cold. Not his best showing, he normally gets a great start but he was feeling crappy and lagged behind. The important thing is he finished and without injury on the season's most rocky/muddy/tight and twisty course! Nice job mini-me, the new IRC MIBRO tires and the new set of specialized shoes helped I hope!

I had a good start- 10th or so into the singletrack after the long pavement section. I started passing dudes once we hit the 1st rock gardens and reeled in quite a few guys on the singletrack. I only had 2 or 3 guys pass me on the second long pavement section which ain't my strong suit! I was maxing out my heart rate but still felt good with no bonking or cramps... then my chain dropped into the spokes on the switchbacks at "animal chute"... 3 times! A train of 8 guys passed by and a few more individuals before I realized I couldn't use #1,2 or 3 of the rear cassette. I got going and made up my mind to stay in the race. I pushed hard and started reeling those dudes back and wasn't passed again for the rest of the race. By the time I finished, jr. had been waiting in the van for an hour and really needed to get back home so we left before results were posted. I found out that night that I had locked up the 2nd loosers spot! that's my 1st poduim in cat2/sport class. Next up in the H2H series is Ringwood, last race of '09... unless I put my cross itres n the hardtail again! Hmmmm.

No comments: